Whatever your dream garden looks like this year…
- a kitchen garden with veggies & herbs to feed your family & neighbors
- a cutting garden full of your favorite flowers
- or a butterfly & pollinator support garden
…we have some good resources to help you! First you can check out our last newsletter for some great books on getting started with a garden. We also have some really useful (& fun!) web-based resources to suggest. These sites have planning tools, plant ‘dictionaries’ with lots of growing info, and a full listing of advice articles and how-tos.
- gardeners.com: First, it’s free (yay!) and has a bunch of excellent out-of-the-box kitchen garden plans all ready to go. Choose from 26 designs, including a few we think look awesome:
- Cook’s Choice
- Salad Garden
- Cocktail Garden (small or large option)
- Salsa Garden
- Fun for Kids
- They also have a Design Your Own option that has super-easy drag and drop capability.
- smartgardener.com is another tool we really like, with all of the same features mentioned above. This one also has souped-up features like a garden journal to record everything, and to-buy and to-do lists that are automagically generated from the garden plan you create. You can even get your garden to-do list to sync to your personal calendar so everything schedules itself. This one’s a pay-for though, with 2 options: $6 for 3 months or $20 for a year.
Once you have your plan in place, then comes the fun part—garden shopping! We are growing TONS of seedlings to fill your garden:
- veggies like tomatoes, lettuce, sugar snap peas, broccoli, kale, zucchini & summer squash, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers and more
- flowers for your garden like pansies, petunias, impatiens, marigolds, begonias, sweet alyssum & geraniums
- culinary herbs like basil, rosemary, chives, thyme, sage, lavender, lemon verbena, oregano, dill, cilantro & parsley
- plus a full selection of seeds so you can plant your own peas, carrots, beets, beans & sunflowers
Bring your plant list or come to browse and see what catches your eye. We’ll have lots of choices!
Need some gardening advice? Have a plant question? Give us a shout on facebook or Instagram anytime and we’ll give you our 2¢!